Pennsylvania Society of Sexual, Affectional, Intersex, and Gender Expansive Communities (PS-SAIGE)
The PS-SAIGE is a division of the Pennsylvania Counseling Association (PCA) and Chapter of the Society of Sexual, Affectional, Intersex, and Gender Expansive Communities (SAIGE).
- Promote a greater understanding of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender/gender expansive issues among members of the counseling profession.
- Improve standards and delivery of counseling services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and gender expansive persons.
- Identify and work to eliminate conditions which create barriers to the individual development of such persons.
- Develop, implement, and be proactive in educational programs and publications which further the interests of the LGBT community.
- Secure equality of treatment and all other civil rights accorded minority groups in society.
COMMITMENT TO SOCIAL JUSTICE & ADVOCACY:
PS-SAIGE is a vibrant division with members active at the local, state, and national level. PS-SAIGE members have been involved with:
- Legislative advocacy
- Promoting state-level hate crime legislation that includes protections for sexual and gender minorities
- Working to block a discriminatory marriage amendment to the PA state constitution
- Working to end employment discrimination in PA
- Coordinating the Multicultural Social Justice Leadership Development Academy at ACA
- Developing and implementing LGBT-affirmative mental health services standards for the state of Pennsylvania
- Developing the SAIGE Transgender Competencies (https://saigecounseling.org/)
- Developing and implementing Safe Zone trainings and spaces on college and university campuses (http://safezonefoundation.tripod.com/)
Membership is open to all individuals who are engaged in or have a primary interest in counseling. Interested individuals can include membership with PS-SAIGE through their PCA Membership Application or Renewal. SAIGE membership is only an additional $10.00 annually and PCA Membership is required. If you are already a PCA member and want to add PS-SAIGE, simply make that request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about PS-SAIGE activities, contact:
Dominick Petitto, PS-SAIGE President